Texas Instruments has announced the industry's first processor family to support multi-protocol Gigabit Time Sensitive Network (TSN). This highly integrated new SitaraTM AM6x processor delivers industrial-grade reliability and is available in quad-core and dual-core Arm® Cortex®-A53 versions for fast growing Industry 4.0 demand in factory automation, motor drive and grid infrastructure applications.
The SitaraTM AM6x processor supports Ethernet and real-time data transmission over a single network by supporting the Gigabit transmission rate under the TSN standard and other industrial protocols. This feature is critical for real-time communication in Industrial 4.0 applications, enabling networked physical systems with reconfigurable software at the factory.
With an integrated on-chip, stand-alone dual-core microcontroller subsystem, designers can use AM6x processors to create more reliable, functionally safer products while reducing overall system complexity with programmable logic controllers and multi-axis motor drive applications . The processor also provides error correction code memory protection for on-chip memory and external DDR memory, enabling up to 100,000 hours of boot time when operating at 105 ̊C junction temperature, so the AM6x is extremely reliable in practical applications. The processor allows developers to extend the design to meet the system requirements of running different pin-compatible processors on the same software platform.
Key features and advantages:
- Optimized for industrial networking: The new Gigabit Industrial Communication Subsystem (PRU-ICSS-Gb) supports a wide range of industrial Ethernet protocols, including TSN, EtherCAT, Ethernet/IP and PROFINET, to flexibly meet changing industrial communications Claim.
- Integrated functional safety features: The MCU subsystem features an on-chip, independent dual-core Arm Cortex-R5F central processing unit that can be selected to operate in lockstep mode with diagnostic library and ECC memory protection to help implement a functionally safe subsystem.
- Enhanced on-chip security: Secure boot, secure storage and intelligent encryption engines enhance system security.
- Integrated 3D graphics and display: Support for HMI and industrial PC applications.
- Unified software platform: Provides processor SDK support, allowing customers to seamlessly reuse and migrate AndroidTM, Linux® and TI-RTOS software in TI processor systems.
- Simplified System: Integrated subsystems, simplified power sequencing, integrated low dropout regulators, and pin-to-pin compatibility support reuse of hardware across platforms and reduce system complexity and cost.
For more information on this product, please refer to Texas Instruments’ website: www.ti.com