Maxim Integrated introduces industry's first biosensor module for mobile devices with integrated PPG and ECG
Maxim Integrated has released a new biosensor module, the MAX86150, which makes it easier for designers to provide photoplethysmogram (PPG) and electrocardiogram (ECG) measurements for mobile health monitoring via mobile battery-powered devices. Consisting of internal LEDs, photodetectors and ECG analog front ends (AFEs), the MAX86150 delivers highly accurate FDA-approved PPG and ECG performance in a compact, power-saving designs, including handsets, laptops, tablets and smart speakers.
In design, providing simultaneous PPG and ECG measurements has been a challenge because engineers have to use two separate biosensors that collectively consume more board space and power than mobile devices can afford. In addition, achieving high precision in measurement is also challenging, especially where sensor sensitivity may be affected by low perfusion levels or dry skin. The MAX86150 overcomes these challenges while sampling PPG and ECG to provide the highest pulse transfer time sensitivity. To reduce battery consumption, the module can be turned off via software and the standby current is close to zero, keeping the power rails powered. The MAX86150 is available in a 3.3mm x 6.6mm x 1.3mm, 22-pin optical module.
· Highly Accurate: at 136dB, the module's common mode rejection ratio (CMRR), a measurement of noise rejection, is the highest on the market. Its 100mA-capable, high-dynamic-range LED driver enables higher sensitivity on an array of skin types. A low-impedance contact for the ECG sensor enables more accurate measurements, even in cases of dry skin.
· Long Battery Life: minimizes battery drain with ultra-low shutdown current of 0.7μA typical. Power consumption less than the closest competitive device further extends battery life compared to competitive solutions.
· Ease of Deployment: its dry electrode operation eliminates the need for gels, fluids and sticky or wet pads on other parts of the body to obtain accurate readings.
· Small Form Factor: the same size as a stand-alone ECG sensor, integrating an ECG sensor with an optical PPG sensor saves space and provides much more functionality without requiring a third electrode (which competitive solutions require).
Availability and Pricing
· The MAX86150 is available at Maxim's website for $4.00 (1000-up, FOB USA); also available from authorized distributors
· The MAX86150EVSYS# evaluation kit is available for $150
For more information about this product please visit Maxim Integrated’s website: www.maximintegrated.com